Ortega Guitars, 4-String Horizon Series Revese Headstock Concert Acoustic-Electric Ukulele w/Bag, Right, Natural, Akustisch-Elektronisch (RUBO-CE)
You don't have to completely transform something classic to bring it into the modern era. Take the ukulele, for example. It's an instrument known for its distinctive sound—crisp highs, warm mid-range tones, and a pleasant, mellow volume.
When most people hear a ukulele, they naturally think of the beach or a sunny meadow. While you may imagine live concerts instead, it's unlikely that you'll be shredding on a ukulele (although we're sure there are videos out there somewhere).
However, traditional ukuleles can benefit from a touch of contemporary flair in their appearance to cultivate a unique style. So, Ortega entertained some ideas. How would a reverse headstock with inline tuners look on a ukulele? Could the position dots be used in a different way to add a subtle touch of personality? With a few tweaks, things started to look sharp.
Ortega Guitars is based in the small town of Gutenstetten, Germany (that's Goo-ten-steh-ten for those not familiar with Bavaria). As a family-owned business, Ortega believes that classics are classics, but there's always room for fresh creativity.
The Horizon Series ukuleles offer a twist on a familiar look, providing you with the option of a classic sound combined with modern visual appeal.
Before shipping, Ortega's highly-skilled experts, who are also musicians, carefully inspect each ukulele at our facility in Nashville, Tennessee. They follow a detailed checklist to ensure that you experience that "okay, I'm never putting this down" feeling right out of the box.
Tech specs — the Horizon Series Concert Ukulele by Ortega Guitars
- Concert 376 mm scale — 68 mm body depth
- Mango top, back & sides in open pore finish — walnut body & fretboard binding
- Techwood fretboard and bridge (18 frets)
- Okoume neck, satin finish
- Reverse headstock with inline gold plated die-cast tuning machines and black buttons
- Nut width — 35 mm / 1.38"
- Equipped with Ortega Guitars Concert UWNY-4-CC white nylon strings (high G tuning: G,C,E,A)
- Includes deluxe gig bag
Designed in Germany with noticeable modern elements
- Mango with open pore finish
- The mango top, back, and sides with an okoume neck produce a bright and balanced sound that is clear, deep, and has excellent mid-range presence.
- They used Techwood for the fretboard and bridge as a durable composite alternative to rosewood, providing a slick look and smooth feel.
- Three outward-facing position dots at the twelfth fret tastefully accent the fretboard, while a full set of dots runs down the side.
- The open pore finish allows the beautiful, natural wood grain to shine through, adding refinement and photogenic charm.
Reverse headstock and inline tuners
- The most striking feature is undoubtedly our reverse headstock. This unique style of headstock is exclusive to our Horizon Series and gives it a sharp and distinctive appearance.
- Gold plated inline die-cast tuners complement the exquisite wood finish and provide straight alignment of the strings from the nut. The tuners are topped with black buttons.
- The concert size (scale 376 mm) combines crisp string articulation with full tonal development from the 68 mm deep body, resulting in a vibrant ukulele sound suitable for any setting.
- The Horizon Series Concert ukulele comes equipped with four Ortega Guitars Concert UWNY-4-CC strings (high G tuning: G,C,E,A). These white nylon strings are designed to deliver warmth and punchy tone.
- These strings, made in Italy, were developed in collaboration with Aquila, the world-famous Italian ukulele string maker.